Easy Cheesy One Skillet Pork Chops with Mushroom Saucego to recipe
These juicy, perfectly seasoned pork chops are served in a creamy mushroom sauce that only requires one skillet to make and 1 hour of your time. This one dish recipe can be enjoyed alongside potatoes, rice, more veggies, or can be eaten as the main meal.
I don’t normally cook pork chops on the stove. I feel like I’ll overcook them, it’s easy to do. I don’t normally cook pork at all, really. I lied. I do make collard greens every week and a big chunk of bacon goes in that recipe. Other than dumping bacon in a pot, that’s as far as I usually go. Until now. These pork chops are sooooo flavorful, juicy, and are the star of the show over at our house.
The trick to keeping these bad boys juicy is searing them on the stovetop over medium high head on both sides, set them aside, covered, while the mushroom sauce is prepared, and finish off the cooking process in the oven. A nice crust forms on the outside of the chops, thanks to the dry rub, but they stay incredibly tender on the inside. It’s quite tasty!
I thought I would show you these chops before I slathered them with cheese. That layer of seasoned crust 😍, to prove it’s worth the extra searing step.
One thing to keep in mind in order to get that perfectly thin crinkled chocolate top and gooey rich chocolate center – there’s a trick. You gotta beat those eggs!! Step number two says to beat the eggs and coconut sugar on high speed for 3-5 minutes, which is super important. Set a timer, it’s really worth the extra few minutes.
- 4 boneless pork chops, each about 1 inch thick
- salt + pepper to taste
- 2 tsp oat flour
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp avocado oil - (see note)
- 8 oz. white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 2 tbsp heavy cream, or full fat milk of choice - (see note)
- 1/2 cup shredded gouda cheese, or shredded cheese of choice - (see note)
- Preheat the oven to 350F and season both sides of each pork chop with salt and pepper. Set aside pork chops for 20-30 minutes while you make the seasoning.
- In a small bowl, stir together flour, garlic powder, chili powder, and paprika. After 20-30 minutes, pat dry each pork chop with a napkin or paper towel and rub both sides of each pork chop with the seasoning.
- Heat oil in a large cast-iron (or another oven-safe pan) over medium high heat. When oil gets hot, add pork chops to the skillet and cook about 2-4 minutes on each side (adjust the time to how thick the chops are –see above to read how you know when they’re ready for the oven).
- Remove pork chops from skillet, cover loosely, and let rest while you make the mushroom sauce.
- Add mushrooms and broth to the skillet and simmer (making sure to scrape the bottom of the pan during this step to release more flavor) until mushrooms soften and liquid is reduced by half, about 8-10 minutes. Stir in cream.
- Place pork chops back into the skillet, evenly sprinkle each with shredded cheese, and place in the oven for 8-12 minutes, or until cheese melts and pork chops reach an internal temperature of 145F.
- Remove skillet from oven, let sit for 5 minutes or so, and serve immediately.
- You can use any kind of oil you prefer. I like avocado oil because I knew I’d be cooking the chops in high heat, and avocado oil handles that really well. Coconut oil is another great option.
- Substitute heave cream with full-fat milk of choice. It’s so flavorful I even think coconut cream would mix nicely in this dish.
- If you don't want to use gouda cheese, other great options include mozzarella, cheddar, or swiss.