A melting pot of flavorful ingredients and good-for-you nutrients that’s quickly discovered during the first bite of this super easy kale and sweet potato salad. It’s deliciously dressed with a homemade honey lemon tahini dressing that’s incredibly creamy and made with real, wholesome ingredients.
Simply use maple syrup instead of honey to prepare an equally delicious vegan version of this recipe.
Not a fan of lemon juice? Not a problem – substitute with lime juice or more apple cider vinegar.
You can even mess around with the dressing by using all-natural peanut butter or cashew butter. Peanut butter will create a rich and bold dressing, while cashew butter will create a lightly sweet and smooth dressing. You can always adjust the amount of water you use in the dressing to match the consistency you desire.
This salad would go perfectly with as a side with these Tuscan Herb & Feta Turkey Meatballs. You could even add your protein of choice to the salad for a once dish meal that’s super satisfying, chock-full of nourishing foods, and simple to make.
I love salads as a side – it’s a guaranteed way to fill by body with healthy goodness. This salad is the perfect blend of bold flavors and textures.
If you’re a fan of salads also, check out these light and tasty salads: Picked Cucumber & Heirloom Tomato Salad and Watermelon Basil Salad with Mozzarella & Balsamic Glaze
Easy Roasted Sweet Potato and Kale Salad with Honey Lemon Tahini Dressing
- 3 cups sweet potatoes, diced into small cubes (about 4 medium potatoes)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- dash salt & pepper
- 5 cups kale, stems removed, chopped (about 2 large bunches)
- 4 tbsp lemon juice (about 3 lemons) - (see note)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Combine the sweet potatoes, coconut oil, cinnamon, chili powder, salt, and pepper in a
bowl. Stir until coated.
- Spread mixture out on the baking sheet. Place in the oven and bake for 18 minutes. Remove from the oven and gently flip the potatoes.
- Cook for an additional 5-10 minutes, or until potatoes are crispy on the outside yet
soft enough to pierce with a fork.
- While the potatoes are cooking, whisk all of the dressing ingredients in a bowl until
smooth. Adjust water as needed to reach desired consistency. Place in the fridge until ready to use.
- After you make the dressing, place the kale in a large bowl and squeeze the lemon
juice on kale. Using your hands, massage and mix for 60 seconds, or until the kale feels softer and lemon is evenly incorporated. Put the kale on the serving platter/in serving bowl and place in the fridge until ready to use.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven and spoon the potatoes on top of kale. The warm
potatoes right out of the oven will slightly soften the kale a bit more – it’s quite delicious!
- Drizzle the desired amount of dressing on top of the salad and sprinkle with sesame seeds and sunflower seeds, or toppings of choice (see note). Drizzle salad with dressing and serve immediately.
- For added heat, dice a jalapeño and bake with the sweet potatoes to add to the salad. You can also sprinkle a bit of cayenne pepper on the potatoes before baking.
- For more veggies, delicious additions to this salad include bell peppers, beets, carrots, radishes, and onions. Add them in raw or cook them (besides radishes) with the sweet potatoes. Increase the coconut oil slightly to accommodate the addition of extra veggies. I would only add cinnamon on the sweet potatoes, however.
- Other suitable toppings include pumpkin seeds, chopped walnuts, chopped almonds, chia seeds, hemp seeds, croutons, dried cranberries, and chopped bacon (ummm, yum).