This salad is overflowing with flavorful, healthy goodness! The sweet and salty combo paired with the crunch from the apples, pine nuts, and onion is sure to be a crowd pleaser. It’s the perfect side dish next to your typical, heavy holiday dishes since it delivers a light and fresh taste. The dressing adds just enough sweet and salty flavors that makes everyone ask for more.
Crunchy Holiday Salad
Makes 12 servings
1 serving is about 1/2 cup salad
- 1 lb. brussel sprouts
- ¾ cup pine nuts
- 1 apple, cored and diced
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- ½ small red onion
- Optional: ½ (12 oz.) package uncured bacon, cooked and crumbled
Honey Dijon Dressing
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
1. Cut off the ends of the brussel sprouts. Using a knife or slicer, thinly slice each brussel sprout.
2. Thinly slice the onion in a similar manner as the sprouts.
3. Place the pine nuts on a small skillet over low to medium heat. Toast, stirring often, until pine nuts are fragrant and light brown, about 2-3 minutes. Once toasted, pour into a large mixing bowl.
4. To the bowl, add the shaved sprouts, diced apple, cranberries, crumbled bacon (if used), and sliced onion. Stir to combined.
5. Add all dressing ingredients to a separate mixing bowl and whisk well. Pour dressing over salad and toss to coat.
6. Place salad in the fridge for at least 1 hour. Serve and enjoy!