Not your ordinary cupcake. These gluten-free, refined-sugar free cupcakes are infused with lemon chamomile tea that has been steeped in milk to add a new level of delicious flavors. The smooth and delectable strawberry frosting is super simple to make and uses only 3 whole ingredients. Pair these two parts together to create a new favorite cupcake recipe that you will make over and over again!
I once owned a little bakery business before I had kids. There were no shortcuts, ingredient substitutions to accommodate dietary needs, or “healthier” options. While I now use less processed ingredients like coconut sugar over cane sugar and almond flour over all-purpose flour, I will never (maybe I shouldn’t say never) substitute good old-fashioned full-fat, creamy butter. I remain convinced that butter is the best fat used to make the perfect cupcake. I’ve tried coconut oil and, even though still appeasable, it doesn’t create a cupcake as moist and fluffy as the one made with butter. Butter it up, ladies and gents! You won’t be disappointed.
Lemon Tea Cupcakes with Strawberry Frosting
Makes 12 standard-sized cupcakes
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 bags of lemon tea (I used this organic chamomile lemon tea)
- 1¾ cup almond flour
- ¼ cup tapioca flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- ½ cup grassfed unsalted butter
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/3 cup tea milk, at room temperature
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup raw honey
- ½ cup strawberry powder (see notes)
- To make the tea milk, heat up 1 cup of whole milk. Let 3 tea bags steep for 15 minutes, remove tea bags, and let cool.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Place cupcake liners in a cupcake pan. Coat with non-stick spray and set aside. (see notes)
- Combine almond flour, tapioca flour, baking soda, and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Using a standing mixer or handheld mixer, beat together ½ cup butter and coconut sugar until smooth and light.
- On low speed, mix in 1 egg at a time.
- Mix in vanilla extract, lemon juice, and milk.
- Add in dry ingredients and mix on medium speed until smooth.
- Evenly distribute batter among 12 cupcake liners, filling each about 2/3 full.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 16 minutes. Remove from oven and let sit in the cupcake pan for 10 minutes before removing.
- To make the icing, beat all of the frosting ingredients together on high speed until light and smooth. Top each cooled cupcake with icing and serve.
- To make strawberry powder, blend freeze-dried strawberries in a food processor or blender until a powder forms. For this recipe, I used two of these 1/3 oz. bags of organic freeze-dried strawberries.
- I prefer to use silicone cupcakes liners because they’re more economical and make it easy to peel the cupcake out.
- Change up the types of tea to create different flavor cupcakes. I would like to try earl grey or lavender.