Scalloped potatoes with a sweet and flavorful twist, this delicious gluten-free dish requires only 5 ingredients to make. This recipe requires dairy ingredients that can easily be substituted with vegan options, like coconut cream and coconut oil. Made either the regular or vegan way, these creamy rosemary scalloped sweet potatoes will still come out smelling scrumptious and filling your home (& belly) with sweet and savory flavors.
You can be creative and switch up the herbs if rosemary isn’t your favorite – I bet thyme or oregano would go nicely with the other flavors. Another idea is trying this recipe with regular russet potatoes – and maybe add some garlic and pepper while you’re at it.
Creamy Rosemary Scalloped Sweet Potatoes
- 5 large sweet potatoes, peeled
- 1½ cup heavy cream (see note)
- ½ cup unsalted grassfed butter, melted (see note)
- 2 teaspoons rosemary
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400F and grease a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Using a sharp knife or medallion slicer, cut the potatoes into 1/8 inch thick round pieces. Set aside
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together cream, butter, rosemary, and salt until well combined.
- Create a flat layer on the bottom of the baking dish with 1/3 of the sliced potatoes.
- Pour 1/3 of the cream mixture on top of the first layer of potatoes.
- Repeat this process two more times (the sequence is layer potatoes, pour mixture, layer potatoes, pour mixture, layer potatoes, then pour the rest of mixture).
- Loosely cover the baking dish with foil and bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and bake at additional 10 minutes. Let cool and enjoy!
- You can substitute heavy cream with full-fat milk of choice. For a vegan dish, use a full-fat milk alternative.
- You can substitute butter with coconut oil, avocado oil, or dairy-free butter of choice.
- Kick it up a notch and add chipotle pepper and black pepper for some added heat.