This wholesome, one dish meal is gluten-free, nutritious, and tasty, thanks to veggies like zucchini, peppers, and spinach. It’s seasoned with robust flavors from Tuscan herbs and spices and topped with parmesan cheese for an extra touch.
I was given the opportunity to try a new brand of brown rice penne pasta – so I decided to add a boat load of veggies and some chicken to create this one dish meal. This recipe has a nice mix of carbs, protein, and healthy fats, which will leave you full and satisfied.
I was pleasantly surprised with how the pasta turned out once I cooked it then baked it. And, honestly, it was better the next day. Isn’t it funny how pasta does that? Silly.
Roasted Tuscan Veggie and Chicken Penne Pasta Bake
Yields 8 servings
1 serving is about 1½ cups pasta
- 1 zucchini, cut into small cubes
- 1 onion, peeled and cut into small strips
- 2 red bell peppers, cored and cut into small strips
- ¼ cup Tuscan herb olive oil
- 2 tablespoons dried Italian seasoning (see note)
- 2 (6 oz.) packages of ready-to-eat artichoke hearts
- 4 cups chopped spinach
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 lb. brown rice penne pasta
- 1 (28.2 oz.) canned no salt added diced tomatoes
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cooked and shredded (see note)
- 1½ cup grated Parmesan, divided
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Toss together the zucchini, onion, and peppers with the olive oil and Italian seasoning. Place this mixture on a baking sheet and roast in the oven for 16 minutes.
- Cook your pasta in a large pot for about 6 minutes. Drain the pasta and set aside.
- When your vegetables are done roasting, gently combine the pasta with the roasted veggies, artichoke hearts, spinach, salt, pepper, canned tomatoes, chicken, and 1 cup of parmesan cheese.
- Spoon the pasta in a 9×13” baking dish. Top with the remaining ½ cup Parmesan cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 20-22 minutes, or until top is golden brown and cheese has melted.
- When buying an Italian season blend, make sure there are no added salts. I like this organic one.
- I cooked the chicken in a crockpot the day before. Place 1 pound of chicken breast in a crockpot with ¼ cup water or chicken broth. Cook on high for 4 hours then shred the chicken.