Spruce up your breakfast with this light and tasty gluten-free lemon bread that’s topped with a finger-licking homemade blood orange glaze. The enticing aromas and bold flavors from the lemon and blood orange will help start your morning off right, I promise!
Blood oranges are amazing. If you haven’t tried a blood orange I encourage you to the next time you see one. Their name comes from the color of their flesh, looking close to the color of blood. They have unique pigments that aren’t found in other citrus fruits and their aroma is much more intense than a regular orange. They’re slightly sweeter and more flavorful as well.
The beautiful pastel pink/orange icing in this recipe comes directly from the blood orange juice – no zero artificial colors here, folks! Nature is amazing.
Lemon Breakfast Bread with Blood Orange Glaze
Makes 12 servings
1 serving is 1 slice of bread with glaze
- 4 egg whites
- ½ cup plain greek yogurt
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup coconut butter, melted
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Zest of 1 blood orange
- 1½ scoops vanilla protein powder (see note)
- ¾ cup almond flour
- 1 cup gluten-free oat flour
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Juice of 1 blood orange (about ¼ cup)
- ½ scoop vanilla protein powder
- ¼ cup organic powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a standard sized loaf pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, yogurt, lemon juice, and coconut butter. Add in the remainder of bread ingredients and stir until well combined.
- Pour bread batter into prepared pan and smooth down with a spoon.
- Bake in the oven for 38-44 minutes, or until edges are golden brown and toothpick comes out clean when inserted in center of loaf. Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack.
- Whisk together the glaze ingredients then drizzle on top of cooled bread. Enjoy!
- Choose a vanilla protein powder with as minimal ingredients as possible (make sure you use one with no refined sugars or artificial flavorings), like this plant-based organic vanilla protein powder.