Gluten-Free Double Chocolate Peppermint Whoopie Piesgo to recipe
These decadent double chocolate peppermint whoopies pies are created with simple ingredients that are free of gluten, soy, refined sugar and refined, oils. The fluffy chocolate whoopie pies are filled with a rich and creamy chocolate peppermint icing that is so easy and quick it will become your new favorite “go-to” chocolate icing, with or without the delicious peppermint flavor addition.
These whoopie pies offer a light and fluffy cake texture, so they aren’t too rich. There’s a hint of peppermint in the cake with more peppermint flavor in the creamy chocolate icing.
These would also be delicious without the added peppermint extract if that combo isn’t your favorite. If you love it (like I do), adjust the amount of peppermint extract to suit your flavor preference.
A little info on cacao powder and why I use it instead of cocoa powder.
First, I use this Organic Fair-Trade Certified Cacao Powder. I recommend choosing cacao powder that’s both organic and fair-trade certified.
Many popular cocoa powders go through “dutch processing,” which stripes the cocoa powder of key nutrients. Fair-trade cacao powder is rich in nutrients and creates a decadent, bold chocolate flavor, which places it above the well-known unsweetened cocoa powder. An easy way to ensure the hard-working farmers who manage the sensitive cacao tree crops year-round are fairly compensated is by purchasing fair-trade certified organic cacao powder.
Fair-trade cacao powder is also carefully harvested and processed to limit its exposure to chemicals and pesticides that are a detriment to overall health. Cacao powder is high in antioxidants, more specifically polyphenols. Polyphenols found in cacao powder help lower inflammation, improve blood flow, reduce cholesterol, and aid in blood sugar control. Cacao powder is also rich in both flavanols, which is a plant compound that has positive health benefits, and tryptophan, which is an amino acid that works with the body to produce serotonin. These two properties improve heart health, provide antioxidant protection, and aid in sleep and relaxation. So, go ahead and enjoy a chocolate dessert. Just make sure you use fair-trade organic cacao powder! My Dark Chocolate Mousse with Fresh Raspberries recipe is a great place to start.
Chocolate Peppermint Whoopie Pies
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a whoopie pie pan (or muffin top pan) with non-stick spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together ½ cup butter and coconut sugar on high speed until light and fluffy.
- Add in egg and mix on low speed until well incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, sift together oat flour, cacao powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Add ½ of the dry mix to the bowl of butter mixture. Mix until well combined.
- Next, mix in almond milk and peppermint extract until well combined.
- Lastly, add remainder of dry mix and mix just until incorporated.
- Evenly distribute batter among the 12 whoopie pie molds, filling each about 2/3 full.
- Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes (you’ll repeat this step again – making 24 half pies). Let cool on wire rack while you make the icing.
- For the icing, beat all ingredients on high speed in a large mixing bowl until smooth and creamy. If the icing is too runny, place in the fridge until it firms up a bit (about 5-10 minutes).
- When icing is ready, spread about 2 tablespoons of icing on one-half of a whoopie pie. Repeat until icing is on 12 pies.
- Top each pie with the other half and enjoy!
- You may substitute almond milk with regular, full-fat milk of choice. Great options are cashew milk, oat milk, or coconut milk.
- You can easily adjust the amount of honey used in the icing to accommodate your sweetness preference.
- The chocolate peppermint icing would make a just as delicious chocolate icing – just eliminate the peppermint extract.