You will be pleasantly surprised to see how easy and quick it is to make this scrumptious, silky-smooth cashew butter. It’s low in sugar, has an extra boost of protein, and the perfect berry taste that will make you want to lick it straight off the spoon!
I’ve said this multiple times throughout Whisk in Wellness – homemade cashew butter is 100% better than anything you can buy in a store. I personally like selecting the ingredients I use to ensure a wholesome recipe. In this recipe, I used freeze-dried blueberries to help extend the shelf life. It adds the perfect amount of blueberry flavor without overpowering the cashews.
You can easily personalize this recipe as well. Try another freeze-dried fruit or use more honey or maple syrup to kick up the sweetness.
Blueberry Cashew Butter
Makes 16 servings (about 2 cups)
1 serving is 2 tablespoons
- 2½ cup unsalted, raw organic cashews
- 1 cup freeze dried blueberries
- 1 tablespoon honey (see note)
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (optional, see note)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Optional: 1-2 tablespoons coconut oil (if you want a thinner cashew butter)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread cashews on a lined sheet pan.
- Roast cashews for 10-15 minutes, or until fragrant and light golden brown.
- Let the cashews cool for 10 minutes, then place them in a food process, or blender (I would use a high-powdered blender like a Ninja or Vitamix)
- Process cashews until completely creamy and smooth, stopping to scrap the sides of bowl a few times.
* This process may take anywhere from 4-8 minutes.
- To the processor, add blueberries, honey, protein powder, and salt. Blend until well combined.
* Add in coconut oil, if desired.
- Spoon cashew butter into a sealed glass jar. Store at room temperature for up to 2 weeks or in the fridge for up to 2 months.
- Look for a vanilla protein powder made of wholesome ingredients, like this plant-based organic vanilla protein powder.
- To make this vegan, substitute honey with maple syrup and use a vegan protein powder, like the one linked above.