This beautiful three-layer vanilla cake is made with wholesome ingredients like coconut oil, honey, and whole wheat flour, creating a cake you can eat with no guilt! The deliciousness doesn’t end with the cake – it’s topped with juicy, seasonal berries and sweet homemade vanilla icing.
If you have a gluten intolerance, you can simply use 1½ cups oat flour plus an additional ½ cup of almond flour to replace the whole wheat flour for an equally yummy vanilla cake that is now gluten-free!
If you don’t want to fool with stacking and icing a three layer cake, don’t worry. You can bake the cake batter in an 8×8” dish for, depending on the dish, around 20-25 minutes at the same temperature. Slab that finger-licking vanilla icing on top (once it cools) and finish it off with berries of choice.
Healthy Berry Vanilla Naked Cake
Makes 14 servings
1 serving is 1 slice cake with icing and berries
- ¾ cup plain full-fat greek yogurt
- 4 eggs
- ¾ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1¼ cup almond flour
- 1½ scoop vanilla protein powder (see notes)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (see notes)
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2/3 cup plain full-fat cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup plain full-fat greek yogurt
- ½ cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 3 mini cake pans (I used three 6” pans) and set aside.
- Using a hand-held mixer, beat together the first four cake ingredients until smooth.
- Add remainder of cake ingredients to the bowl of wet ingredients. Blend on low speed until smooth & well combined.
- Evenly distribute cake batter among the three pans. Smooth down with a spatula. 5. Bake in the oven for 26-30 minutes. Let cakes cool on a wire rack while you make the frosting.
- In another mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the remainder of icing ingredients to the bowl and beat until light and fluffy.
- To assemble the cake (see notes to read tips for icing a layered cake), place one cake layer on your serving platter/dish. Spread about 1/3 of the frosting on top. Place the second cake layer on top of frosting. Spread another 1/3 of frosting on top of 2nd cake layer. Place the third cake layer on top of frosting. Spread the remainder of frosting on top.
- Using a spatula, smooth down frosting to your liking. Top with sliced berries. Enjoy!
- Be careful when choosing a protein powder. Make sure you select one that has no refined sugars (cane sugar being the main culprit), artificial flavorings, and processed ingredients, like this plant-based organic vanilla protein powder..
- If you choose to omit the protein powder, you can use an additional 1/3 cup whole wheat flour or ½ cup almond flour in its place.
- If you have a gluten intolerance, you can simply use 1½ cups oat flour plus an additional ½ cup of almond flour to replace the whole wheat flour for a gluten-free cake.
- Before spreading the icing on the cake, I use a serrated knife to trim the tops and sides of cake layers to ensure all 3 cake layer are even, flat on top, and the same size. It makes icing the layers much faster and easier.