Unlike the traditional chocolate chess pie loaded with sugar and processed evaporated milk, this version is made with simple ingredients, like pecans, figs, and coconut oil. The end result is a smooth and decadent pie filling loaded with rich chocolate flavor on top of a flaky pecan crust.
Since this version has no eggs, baking is not necessary. Both the filling and crust are quickly made with a food processor. It takes roughly 10 minutes of active prep time and once assembled, the pie goes in the fridge. You honestly won’t believe how easy it is to prepare! Not only that, but it’s also delicious and kid-approved. An overall win for the entire family.
Chocolate Chess Pie with Pecan Crust
This recipe is free of dairy, eggs, wheat, gluten, grains, refined sugars, refined oils, peanuts, artificial flavors & artificial colors.
Makes 16 servings // 1 serving is 1 slice of pie without chocolate topping
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 2 cups pecans
- 3 tablespoons cacao powder (see notes)
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 2½ cups fresh figs
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted
- ½ cup cacao powder
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1/8 teaspoons salt
- Optional: vegan chocolate chips, melted (see notes)
- Combine the 2 cups pecans and 3 tablespoons cacao powder in a food processor. Pulse until a fine powder forms. Be careful not to over-mix, as this would result in pecan butter.
- Pour mixture into a bowl and add 1/3 cup coconut oil and 1/3 cup water. Stir to combined.
- Pour crust mixture into a greased 8” pie dish. Press down until a crust is formed on the bottom and sides of dish.
- Add all of the filling ingredients to a food processor, minus the chocolate chips if using.
- Mix until smooth. Stop and scrape the sides of the bowl to ensure even mixing.
- Pour pie filling on top of crust and smooth down with a spoon.
- If using, pour melted chocolate on top of pie filling and smooth down with a spoon.
- Place pie in the fridge for at least 4 hours. Cut into 16 slices and serve immediately.
- You can substitute cacao powder with unsweetened cocoa powder.
- If using chocolate for the top, use a chocolate bar or chocolate chips made with no refined sugars, oils, or artificial flavors, like these vegan and paleo friendly chocolate bars.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days.