Dark Chocolate Almond Butter Cups
Decadent dark chocolate wrapped around homemade almond butter filling creates a delicious and satisfying sweet treat, making this recipe one of my most popular to date!
When you make homemade foods, do you also wonder why you have not done it sooner? You would think one of these days it won’t come as such a shock to me that homemade foods tastes way better than anything you buy at the store. These are no exception. I will gladly ditch Reese’s cups, Almond Joys, Snickers, and any and all candy for these delicious homemade cups.
Homemade Dark Chocolate Almond Butter Cups
Makes 10 servings
1 serving is 1 dark chocolate almond butter chocolate cup
- ½ cup unsalted almonds
- ¼ cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (optional, see note)
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted (& divided)
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup dark chocolate (see notes)
- Place mini muffin liners into a mini muffin tin (or use silicone cupcake liners).
- Mix almonds and oats in a food processor until mixture resembles flour. Pour into mixing bowl.
- Add protein powder, 2½ tablespoons of melted coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla extract into the mixing bowl and stir until well incorporated.
- Using your hands, knead this mixture slightly until comes together. Take about 1½ tablespoon of mixture, form into a ball, and flatten with your fingers. Repeat this process until 10 balls are made.
- Melt dark chocolate and ½ tablespoon of coconut oil until smooth.
- Spoon a small amount of melted chocolate into each muffin liner and place almond filling into each liner, on top of chocolate.
- Next, spoon enough chocolate to cover the almond filling in each liner.
- Place cups in the fridge until chocolate hardens, about 1 hour. Remove from fridge and serve immediately.
- Choose a protein powder with as minimal ingredients as possible (make sure you use one with no refined sugars or artificial flavorings), like this plant-based organic vanilla protein powder.
- Choose chocolate chips or a chocolate bar made with unrefined ingredients, like these chocolate bars that my kids and I love!
- Substitute maple syrup with sticky sweetener of choice, like honey, agave, or brown rice syrup.
- Keep this recipe vegan by using a vegan vanilla protein powder and vegan chocolate.