This simple yet deliciously flavorful no-bake blueberry lime pie on top of a homemade whole wheat pie crust will end up being your favorite ways to prepare a pie. It requires zero baking, minimal time, and little effort on your part, which all busy bees across the world need – easy peasy! It’s also made with vegan-friendly whole food ingredients, like coconut cream, cashews, blueberries, and maple syrup.
The ingredients used in this recipe are not only vibrant, bold, and flavorful but also quite impressive in terms of nutritional content.
Cashew, used in the pie filling, contain certain monounsaturated fats, like oleic acid, that are healthy for your heart as they’ve been associated with lower levels of “bad” LDL cholesterol and higher levels of “good” HDL cholesterol. Next to other non-meat sources of copper, cashews provide much more of this mineral than the other vegetarian options. Like all nuts, cashews are an excellent source of protein, an important macronutrient the body uses for energy, muscle rebuild, and new cellular component creation. They provide potent antioxidants, a couple being Vitamin E and Vitamin K, that help potent the body from oxidative damage. If you’re looking for more of these benefits, check out my brownie batter cashew butter (cashews are the main star).
Blueberries are a fruit MVP, filled with fiber, antioxidants, vitamin C, vitamin B-6, vitamin E, vitamin k-1, manganese, and potassium. Blueberries are packed with plant compounds, more specifically polyphenols called anthocyanins, quercetin, and myricetin, all of which produce benefits that improve the health of the brain, heart, and also help control blood sugar & reduce DNA damage.
Cinnamon used in the crust, is a powerful antioxidant, protecting your body from the damage-causing free radicals. It also contains anti-inflammatory properties, helping your body fight off infections.
If you’re a fan (like me) of dishes that combine berry and citrus flavors, check out my Blueberry Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins With Pistachio Crumble or these Lemon Tea Cupcakes with Strawberry Frosting – both are delicious and kid-approved!
No-Bake Vegan Blueberry Lime Pie with Whole Wheat Pie Crust
Yields 8-12 servings
- 2 cups whole-wheat flour (see note)
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1T cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups cashews, soaked in water overnight
- 3 (5.4 oz.) cans coconut cream
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1.2 oz. freeze-dried blueberries
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 2T lime zest
Optional Whipped Cream Topping
- 1½ cups full-fat heavy whipping cream (see note)
- Combine all of the crust ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir until well combined. Adjust the amount of water you use to achieve a crust that isn’t crumble but able to hold its shape when pressed down.
- Grease a standard 9” pie dish and pour crust into the dish. Press down to form an even layer on the bottom and along the sides of pie dish. Place in the fridge while you make the filling.
- Drain cashews and place them, along with remainder of pie filling ingredients, in a food processor or blender. Mix until smooth, stopping to scrape the sides and bottom of bowl a couple of times, about 5-8 minutes.
- Spoon pie filling on top of pie crust and smooth down with a spoon. Place pie in the fridge for at least 2 hours. Enjoy immediately.
- For optional topping, beat whipping cream in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy, about 6-10 minutes. Smooth on top of pie and enjoy!
- Store pie in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- For a gluten-free pie crust, use your favorite gluten-free baking mix or use the crust recipe for these mini pink lemonade pies (just double the recipe to ensure there’s enough for a standard-sized pie)
- Before beating the whipping cream, place the mixing bowl and mixer attachments in the freezer for 10 minutes. It helps the cream whip up thick and smooth.