Refreshing and packed with green tea health benefits, these creamy and sweet popsicles are super tasty and can be enjoyed poolside, beachside, or inside during the hot months. They are simple to make and require only 5 wholesome ingredients, making them a perfectly healthy treat during the hectic but fun-filled summer days!
So what is matcha? Although very similar to green tea, matcha is grown differently and also has differences in nutritional profile when compared to green tea. Since matcha contains nutrients from the whole tea leaf (green tea and matcha are grown from the same plant – but matcha is made from the entire leaf which is why it is more nutrient dense than great tea), it offers a larger does of caffeine and antioxidants than green tea. Matcha has an abundance of catechins (naturally high in antioxidants). The catechin EGCG is especially high in matcha and has been shown to hold anti-cancer properties. Matcha has also been shown to improve heart health, prevent cancer, boost brain function, protect the liver, and help with weight control.
I love it because, since it’s a powder, it’s easy to incorporate in foods like oatmeal, yogurt, and bread/muffin mixes – so you can quickly give other foods a boost of health benefits by simply adding in this superfood. And because matcha powder nutrient-dense, a little goes a long way!
Matcha Popsicles with Honey and Lemon
makes 6 popsicles
- 2 (13oz.) cans full-fat coconut milk, cream portion only
- ¾ cup honey
- 1 cup ice
- 2.5 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon matcha
- ½ cup shredded coconut (optional – see notes)
Things You Need
- Popsicle set with 6 molds, like this one
- Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor. Mix until completely smooth and well combined, stopping to scrape the bowl a few times during this step.
- Evenly pour mixture into each popsicle mold. Finish by placing a popsicle stick into each popsicle and set in the freezer for at least 3 hours.
- Remove from freezer and enjoy!
- Run each popsicle mold under warm water for about 5 seconds for an easy way to remove each popsicle.
- Sprinkle each popsicle with a tiny bit of matcha for green-tea lovers.
- Adjust the lemon zest and honey to your liking. I prefer mine not as sweet but adding an extra ¼ cup of honey will please those who have a larger sweet tooth! Adding an additional 1T of lemon zest is a perfect way to add more tartness, too!
- I like adding shredded coconut for added texture and coconut flavor. Feel free to leave it out for popsicle that’s equally delicious but a bit smoother and creamier.