Roasted Red Beet and Carrot Salad with Maple Balsamic Glazego to recipe
A delicious combination of healthy ingredients is all you need to create this delicious salad that offers a good dose of whole-food nutrients and seasonal flavor. It makes for a perfect dish to serve alongside meat, pasta, or fish, and is it equally perfect when it’s served as the main course.
If I’m honest, beets are not my favorite. The natural “earthy” taste when they’re raw turns me away – same with my kiddos. BUT when roasted with healthy oils and seasonings, they quickly transform into a soft and sweeter vegetable.
Plus, mixing a smoky element from cumin along and sweet elements from balsamic vinegar and pure maple syrup with the roasted beets goes deliciously with creamy and savory cheese, like goat or feta, in this recipe inspired by foods in season during the spring and summer months.
The dressing is made with only 3 simple, wholesome ingredients – olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and pure maple syrup.
When choosing these ingredients, aim to use only good quality organic options. I always choose this Organic Unfiltered Extra Virgin Olive Oil that I use in some of my top recipes, like this Super Simple Vegan Pecan Spinach Pesto and Watermelon Basil Salad with Mozzarella and Balsamic Glaze. To boost the maple flavor, choose a Pure Grade A Dark Organic Maple Syrup. Make sure to note the ingredients in your maple syrup (there should only be one ingredient – organic maple syrup) – a lot of them are made with “imitation maple syrup” or “natural maple flavor” which you need to avoid!
Read more about the importance in reading nutrition labels in “NUTRITION LABELS: UNDERSTANDING KEY PARTS AND AVOIDING HARMFUL INGREDIENTS”
- 2 lbs. red beets, peeled and sliced into ½ inch thick pieces
- 3 bunches carrots, about 10-12 carrots, peeled and sliced into ½ inch thick pieces
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar - (see note)
- 3 tbsp. pure maple syrup
- 2 tbsp. dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese - (see note)
- Preheat oven to 400F. Coat sheet pan with nonstick spray or line it with foil.
- In a mixing bowl, toss together beets, carrots, ¼cup olive oil, cumin, salt, and pepper.
- Spread mixture out on the sheet pan.
- Bake in the oven for 26-30 minutes, stirring the veggies halfway through.
- Whisk together remaining ¼ cup olive oil, vinegar, maple syrup, and Dijon mustard. Drizzle dressing over roasted salad and top with crumbled cheese, if desired.
- Make sure to use a good quality balsamic vinegar since it's a main ingredient in the dressing. I like this organic balsamic vinegar.
- Always look at your ingredient label. Some maple syrups' ingredient label list “imitation maple syrup” or “natural maple flavor”, which needs to be avoided.
- You can substitute goat cheese with feta cheese.