Apple Pie Crepes
Thin, warm crepes filled with a delicious apple filling (that tastes just like apple pie) and topped with a light whipped coconut cream. I’d say that’s a perfect way to begin the day! I personally think crepes are often overshadowed by oatmeal, pancakes, waffles, etc., and I’m not quite sure why. They are super easy to make, only require a few, simple ingredients, and can be filled with a variety of foods, from chocolate to lemon curd, fruits, and even savory ingredients!
I love when a dish is labeled as “breakfast” but in reality it’s a yummy treat suitable for dessert. I’m not saying these apple pie crepes could be a dessert but I’m also not saying they can’t be either. Listen, I’ll eat this “breakfast” dish every morning if you know what I mean!
Apple Pie Crepes
Makes 5 servings / 1 serving is 1 crepe with about ½ cup apple filling and 2 tablespoons coconut cream
Nutritional info for 1 serving: 321 calories, 7.2g protein, 51.2 carbs, 11.7g fat, 27 sugar, 6.9g fiber
Cinnamon Whole Wheat Crepes
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup full-fat milk of choice (see notes)
- ¾ cup water
- 1 cup sprouted whole-wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 5 apples, cored and chopped
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
Whipped Cream Topping
- 1 can coconut milk (see notes)
- Start with the apple filling by combining all filling ingredients in a medium to large saucepan. Place saucepan on the stove over medium heat and bring to a low simmer. Cook until apples soften, stirring occasionally, about 30-40 minutes.
- While apples are cooking, begin making the crepes by adding the eggs, milk, and water to large mixing bowl. Whisk for about 1-2 minutes, or until mixed well and lightly frothy.
- Add in flour and cinnamon and whisk again for 1-2 minutes.
- Heat a round pan on the stovetop over low heat. Coat the pan with coconut oil then pour about ¼ cup crepe batter into pan. Swirl the pan to evenly disperse the batter then place it back over the heat.
* I recommend using an 8-10” pan
- Cook about 2-4 minutes, or until the surface of crepe is set. Flip and cook another 1-3 minutes, until lightly golden brown.
* If you prefer soft crepes, cook 1-2 minutes per side. For a more classic crepe, cook a bit longer or until golden brown on both sides.
- Lay cooked crepes on a plate or flat surface until ready to eat.
- Spoon solid portion of coconut cream into a mixing bowl. Beat on high speed until smooth and creamy.
- Assemble the crepes by evenly filling each with apple pie mix and topping with whipped coconut cream. Enjoy!
- Use any full-fat milk of choice. Cow, coconut, cashew, or almond milks are all good choices.
- I recommend placing the can of coconut cream in the fridge the night before you make the recipe. It helps harden the solid portions, which you’ll use for the cream.