Spiced Pear Butter
With the perfect amount of spices and sweetness, this pear butter will have you whispering to (the more famous) apple butter to move aside. Apple butter a favorite fruit spread among many. My family equally loves pears as much as apples, prompting me to create pear butter. I’m so glad I did! It’s just as delectable on anything and everything that is served with apple butter. Spread it on toast, spoon it in oatmeal, and stir it in yogurt for a tasty pear-licious addition.
Pears are in season, making them perfect for winter cooking. I love buying them in bulk and coming up with random ways to eat them before they get too ripe. Isn’t it crazy how one day they’re rock hard then two days later they’re mushy? Another reason this pear butter is perfect.
My kids also love it. They quickly get excited when they see me stir it in their oatmeal. I don’t blame them – I eat it directly off the spoon, it’s that good!
Spiced Pear Butter
This recipe is free of dairy, eggs, soy, wheat, gluten, grains, refined sugar,
refined oil, peanuts, tree nuts, & artificial flavors.
Makes 2 cups (16 servings) // 1 serving is 2 tablespoons
Nutritional info for 1 serving: 78 calories, 0.3g protein, 20.5g carbs, 16.4g sugar, 0.1g fat, 2g fiber
- 6 Bartlett pears, peeled, cored, and chopped
- ½ cup lemon juice
- ¾ cup cup maple syrup
- 1 star anise
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon salt
1. Combine pears, lemon juice, maple syrup, and star anise in a large pot.
2. Bring mixture to a boil then reduce to simmer. Cover and cook for about 25-35 minutes, or until pears are soft. Stir often to prevent burning.
3. Remove from heat and let cool, about 30 minutes.
4. Once cool, remove star anise and set it aside, then pour mixture into a food processor and blend until smooth.
5. Return mixture to the pot, add in the star anise along with the remainder of ingredients, and cook on low heat until mixture thickens. Stir often to prevent burning.
* This step took me 1 hour. Adjust the time for consistency preference. Cook longer to thicken the pear butter and cook less for thinner pear butter.
6. Pour pear butter in sterilized jars and store in the fridge for up to 1 week or in the freezer for up to 1 month.